Our work over the summer and into the school year has included:
- Building safety upgrades, including automatic temperature monitoring at the door with a second set of doors to enter the building, a new isolated sick room, upgraded HVAC throughout the building, new HEPA air filtration systems with UV-C and anion function on every floor, after hours UV-C lamps with ozone bulbs, 6’ spaced work areas, hand sanitizing stations, enhanced building cleanings, restoring window functionality, and more
- Technology improvements, including an internet upgrade as well as hardware and software additions that allow classes to be attended both live or remotely, and recorded, with no-touch student work evaluation
- Faculty training on safety measures with Dr. Denise Bonds, TJHD Director and Renaissance School alumni parent, as well as First Aid / CPR certification - and Youth Mental Health First Aid certification
The faculty have been involved with the planning of our pandemic response from the beginning. They returned to the classroom in the fall with six months’ experience of rigorous, live hybrid and online teaching with Phase I and Phase II safety measures:
- In the fourth quarter we retained our full live class schedule with modifications, reimagined all major programs and events including graduation, and maintained strong community and academic continuity for all of our students (learn more here)
- Students who work from home are still part of a live community experience, including group discussions, Q&A with teachers, and the social interactions that are so essential to mental health
- All Renaissance School summer programs were a mix of students learning from home and in the building following mask, cleaning, handwashing, and social distancing protocols, which has continued into the school year
- Our method proved highly successful and did not compromise health and safety, or learning and achievement goals
- In the fall each student and faculty member was provided with PPE in a back-to-school kit
Renaissance School is a small school with outstanding, creative faculty. We can quickly pivot from a hybrid classroom environment to 100% online without sacrificing the quality of instruction. Like everyone else, we look forward to the day when COVID-19 is behind us. Until then we remain committed to our students, their families, and to providing the finest college preparatory program available within a safe, supportive, and tightly-knit community.
Overall, approximately a third of students have utilized full online or a hybrid of online + in-person learning, with higher numbers around breaks to accommodate for extra safety precautions.
We enjoyed a safe, in-person school opening on 8/26, and a safe, engaged first semester.
We invite you to apply to Renaissance School.